Thursday, May 7, 2009

Rest in Peace, sweet Geoffrey

June 6, 2005 - May 7, 2009


Dear, sweet Geoffrey peacefully passed over the Rainbow Bridge this afternoon... surrounded by his loving mom, his warm blankies, and memories of a very happy life.

I am so very fortunate to have met Geoffrey less than a week ago. He was, and always will be, a very special little soul. There is definitely a very strong feeling that there has been a shift in the universe; that something is just a bit different; that Geoffrey may not be *here*, but that the world is a better place because he was. He left behind his wonderful parents, Nikki and Steve, who adored him more than can be expressed in words.

After hearing the news, I was not much good here at work, and so I left the office to go outside to collect my thoughts. It's a warm, beautiful day today - reminiscent of Razzle's last day on Earth. Even the air has the same scent. It struck me that today is Thursday, same day of the week Razzle passed. It is also 5/7, and Razzle passed on 7/5. Coincidence, perhaps. But I do believe that Razzle and Geoffrey are now together, wheeling and playing, happy and healthy, telling each other stories and meeting new friends. It's nice to take comfort in that they will always be together.
A beautiful day today in honor of G


Thank you, Geoffrey, for the honor of meeting you and for bringing such joy to so many people, most especially your mom and dad. It was because of you that Steve and I were lucky enough to meet Nikki and Steve, and between us all your memory will always be kept alive. Perhaps that was your plan all along.

We miss you already, sweet boy.

8 comments:

Steffy said...

oh no....the loss of a hedgie is hard, especially when they have been sick. You try so hard to get them back to health. I hope Geoffry and Razzle have found Baby the Hedgehog and are flirting and playing somewhere warm. I find comfort in the hope that we will see our little ones again. Someday. Untill then, I just hope they stay out of trouble, no parents? Hedgie party! Please give his parents my sympathies Deb, this is one of the hardest times in life, and knowing people care and know their babies story means alot.

happycamper603 said...

Oh Deb, What sad news! So sorry to hear that and my sympathies to the family.

Anonymous said...

Deb, this is such a BEAUTIFUL tribute to Geoffrey. Thank you so much! (that's my favourite pic of G.)

Many thanks to Miss Steffy for her kind words. It's so comforting to know other hedgie parents know exactly how Steve and I are feeling right now. Thanks to the condolences by happycamper603 too.

Even without my alarm set, I keep waking up for his feeding time. Around 3:30 this morning I came downstairs to feed him even though I was fully aware he was gone - it was hard. I could have kept going for weeks and months syringe-feeding him. I wish he could have stayed with us a bit longer, but he chose to go when he felt things couldn't be any better, before it got physically difficult for him and emotionally draining for us. He was bright-eyed till the very end and he crossed so peacefully on his own terms. We're very grateful for that.

Razzle, Baby, Geoffrey, and all other hedgies in the Rainbow Garden, we're thinking about you. Until we meet again at the Rainbow Bridge, wheel hard and party hard! We love you forever...

-nikki

AlbertaGirl said...

Nikki, I'm so sorry to hear about Geoffrey. This is a lovely tribute by Deb to one of the sweetest hogs ever. I had so hoped that he would recover. I'll never forget his appearance on Cute Overload that made the whole world aware of his sweetness. I hope you don't mind, but here is the link: http://cuteoverload.com/2008/11/14/two-ends-of-a-h/

Anonymous said...

Thank you, AlbertaGirl.

When Irwin passed, my heart ached for days. The same thing happened with Razzle, and with all other wonderful hedgies Geoffrey got to know over the years. Now Geoffrey took a huge chunk of my heart with him and I'm not sure if the void will ever heal or be filled again... :-(

But the important thing is Geoffrey didn't suffer long and crossed the Bridge peacefully on his own terms. We're very grateful for that.

I'm sure Irwin was there to greet G at the Rainbow Bridge. I can almost see them having a great time playing in the Rainbow Garden as healthy and happy as they can be! *yay!*

AlbertaGirl said...

Oh yes... they are definitely there together stirring up trouble. I hope the angels aren't walking around barefoot, as they're sure to step on a quill or two!

Razzle said...

I keep looking at this sweet photo of Geoffrey. What an adorable little boy he was. I'm glad he's got some good buddies with him now, showing him where all the warm, comfy hiding spots are.

We'll never stop thinking about you, Geoffrey, and you'll always be in our hearts! I know you're in good company with all your new friends, and that your big brother Razzle is watching over you. Your mom and dad are missing you so very much. I'm sure once you are all settled in, you will be sending them a sign to let them know you're doing great and not to worry....you'll be back together again someday. Until then, be good sweet G. We love you!

Anonymous said...

Dear Geoffrey:

Today would have been your 4th birthday on earth: A Happy Birthday, my sweet sweet little boy!

We miss you. I know you're having so much fun with your big brother, Razzle, and newfound friends in the Rainbow Gardens - running, chasing each other, playing tag, hunting for mealworms, and so on - but please don't forget to take a moment to think of us on your special day.

I wish you were still here with us, but we also understand it was time for you to move on and to be healthy and strong again so that you can keep learning the lessons in life.

We're thinking of you, Geoffrey. You're always in our hearts. You took a piece of our hearts when you crossed the Rainbow Bridge, but you left us something much bigger than that. Thank you for the loving and sweet memories you left behind. We'll cherish them for many many years to come.

May your special day be filled with laughter, friendship, joy, happiness and, of course, mealworms!

-Your mom & dad